The Goldoni Theatre was designed by Giuseppe Cappellini and opened in 1847 . Since then it has cultivated the Livornese passion for opera for over a hundred years. In 1921 it housed the historical congress that witnessed the split of the Socialist party and the foundation of the Italian Communist Party. During the post-war period, the theatre slowly but relentlessly deteriorated after having first been transformed into a cinema and then later closed down completely. Today the Goldoni Theatre has been restored to its former glory thanks to the project by the architect Giuseppe Di Pietrantonio, supervised by the engineer Paolo Domenica on behalf of the Livorno Town Council. An unusual feature of the original project designed by Cappellini was the large glass lantern which opened on the ceiling of the hall, making it possible to hold plays lit by daylight. The project to cover this 600 m2 opening, stipulated a movement similar to a camera shutter, in order to filter only the necessary amount of light for the specific requirements. RESSTENDE custom made 27 blind systems specifically for this project which are fitted onto a “T” structure (shaped to adhere to the complex curved surface that converges towards the centre of the hall), each blind may be moved separately by a 24V tubular motor purposely manufactured by the Becker company. The whole system is controlled by a Seimens PLC with software written by the firm Domotik. All the motors and operating mechanisms are located along the perimeter of the lantern and a complex system of rails, cables and pulleys allow the opening and closure of the blinds. The fabric was produced specifically by a Japanese company and is composed of a fiberglass weave coated with polyurethane foam to give it the necessary acoustic qualities : the fabric surface is the first element of the roof with which the sound waves come into contact and hence it greatly conditions the acoustic performance of the theatre.